View Single Post
Old June 24, 2014, 09:23 AM   #52
stephen426

@Theohazard

Quote:
In the Marines, I was taught to get out of a vehicle when it was hit. Back in the late 90s and early 2000s we didn't have armored Humvees or 5-tons, and the worry was that we'd get hit with rockets or other explosives. But civilians and law enforcement officers rarely have to deal with explosives, so inside a car is often the best place to be.

I have worked with a few law-enforcement instructors, and when I told them that my first instinct was to get out of my car if I'm getting shot at, they pointed out that being inside a car can be a good defensive position in a gunfight.
Theo, when you see stand off scenarios or police officers using their vehicles for cover, are they ever IN their vehicles? They are using their vehicles as cover from outside their vehicle.

If the situation had turned into a gun fight, he would have to shoot through the window, which would likely deflect his shot. While the car itself is maneuverable, a passenger in the vehicle is not very maneuverable. Cars provide very poor coverage, especially newer cars (in the name of fuel efficiency). They provide very little concealment as well.

If I had to shoot at a car, I would aim where the occupants would be seated. As I mentioned, the attacker is in FRONT of the other vehicle and he is approaching. It has not been determined if he is armed or not. Approaching him with the vehicle reduces the distance, making it easier for him to shoot you. Backing up is not really an option on an off-ramp.

You are entitled to your opinion, but if I was in the situation, I would draw my weapon and prepare to exit my vehicle. The door offer little protection so I after a verbal warning, I would move to the back of the vehicle. I am not a cop and I don't play one on tv, but I did have a situation once that has caused me to believe my course of action would be the right one.

Page generated in 0.03705 seconds with 8 queries