View Single Post
Old September 21, 2012, 12:11 PM   #13
jmstr

Issue RESOLVED!

Thank you for all the great advice.

It took me this long to have time to pull the rifle apart to see what is going on.

It is the sear. A replacement is now on its way.

A previous owner [my dad bought it for me and can load a cartridge or clean a weapon, but is by no means a gunsmith and doesn't try stuff like that] had filed the tip off the sear. Yes, this made it a light 'hair' trigger to fire. But, the hammer [what savage calls it, even if it looks more like a striker to me] bounces off the sear when I forcibly 'slam' the lever home. If I gently use the lever, the hammer stays on the sear. If I 'slam' it, the hammer bounces up off the sear.

So, I have new springs and a new sear on the way from numrich.

Once I get them I will proceed to carefully reassemble.

I'll also pay special attention to the hammer rebound spring so that I don't lose it as well.

Thanks for all the great tips and info.

44AMP, can I remove the rotary magazine without disassembling it? I'd like to do a detail clean, as there is a lot of gunk inside the receiver.

I loved the balance and accuracy of this rifle. Now I'll be able to shoot it again [haven't fired it since observing the problem: used snap caps to replicate]!

I haven't begun reloading yet, but this will be a fun round to reload for. I am thinking I may start keeping my eyes open for a .308 version sometime soon. I know they are ballistically similar, but I like the lower cost and greater availablity of .308 ammo over .300savage ammo. Reloading solves this though.

Page generated in 0.03216 seconds with 8 queries