View Single Post
Old April 16, 2013, 02:51 PM   #24
Unclenick
Staff

Nathan,

Glad you got a load that's working well for you.

Sorry to belabor this point on pressure and load information, since you seem to have demonstrated your load is just fine in your gun, but I don't want a non-participating reader to get the wrong idea, so consider that this is really for them:

Quote:
My point was it is within Hodgdon's data. . .
But it's not. Hodgdon doesn't have load data for your type of bullet with Longshot. That's the thing I don't want a thread lurker misunderstanding. Once you change bullet construction, the data charge range is no longer valid except by happy accident. It seems to me there was a recent article in Handloader about the effects of interchanging components on pressure, and it can be quite substantial. Bullet weight by itself is not enough of a constraint to control pressure.

Also, it's worth noting a change in components can do unexpected things. Typically, softer bullets produce lower pressures with a given powder charge because of the lower start pressure required to engrave them with the rifling. However, both Elmer Keith and Skeeter Skelton, as I recall, commented on lead bullets actually creating higher pressures than jacketed ones did in magnum loads in their revolvers. It's an odd phenomenon in that I've never heard of it happening with anything but revolvers, and suspect that what is happening is that at high enough pressures the softer bullet's bases tend to upset out into the revolver's forcing cone, essentially becoming a wider bullet, and causing a delay in burning space expansion while they funnel down. At low pressures, the softer bullets definitely produce lower pressures than jacketed bullets do.

Quote:
Also, it was within Berry's velocity limits.
Usually velocity limits for softer bullets have to do either with avoiding their propensity to leave metal fouling behind or else are limits for hollow point expansion without the bullet coming apart, but have no direct bearing on what pressures are safe.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.02943 seconds with 8 queries