View Single Post
Old March 30, 2013, 01:42 AM   #4
JimmyR

I am only guessing, but i think the law Clyde is suggesting is in this article:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/ne...apons-f/nWxjs/

From my understanding of the article, this applies ONLY to those who have been ordered to a psychiatric facility for a 72 hour observation admission (I assume this is a Baker Act; Kentuckians know it as a Mental Inquest Warrant, and Hoosiers like myself know it as an Emergency Detention Order. Each state has their own laws about what constitutes criteria for an involuntary admission, but, in general, if someone is considered an imminent threat to themselves or to others by both a physician and a judge, the person can be admitted without their consent.

Personally, I would only support this if someone were able to earn their right to own a firearm again after such an event had happened. We had a lady that had an EDO taken against her by a co-worker who happened to be a nurse, and convinced a doctor to sign on and got approval from a judge based on a loose interpretation of a statement made by that person. It should never have happened, but it did. I don't know how many times this has happened, but I am sure this was not the first time it has happened.

Page generated in 0.02556 seconds with 8 queries