View Single Post
Old April 1, 2011, 12:06 PM   #15
F. Guffey

Kenno, Tom started this thread on the 25th, by the 27th he has been firing this rifle for two weeks, again because of the bolt extractor there is a limit to travel because of the alignment of the extractor and extractor cut in the barrel. Change barrels?

Tight and snug? When the barrel shoulder comes in contact with the seating surface on the front of the receiver ring some think the metal of the shoulder and or on front of the receiver ring compress as the barrel is tighten, when contact is made between the two seating surfaces and the barrel is advances the two metals do not get closer together when secured, slack is removed between the threads and with additional torque things can become distorted and stress created to the point threads can be destroyed but the barrel and receiver do not get closer unless there is something between the two surfaces that is crushed.

I purchased 5 Mauser rifles for $25.00 each, I was told they were suspect, I thought I should have got some extra off because they were used and a good case could have been make for the fact they had never been cleaned, but the seller saw through that. Because they were sold as suspect I had to set up to test fire them, When I checked the receivers against the bolts the effect each bolt had on head space for one receiver was .0015 thousands, for 5 receivers and 5 bolts the difference or effect each bolt had on 5 receivers was .002 thousands. The small difference means little to nothing for most but to me it allowed me to use one barrel to test fire all 5 receivers.

I chose a Belgium 30 Gibbs barrel, this allowed me to fire form cases and test the receiver, about this time I was informed I was involved in some scary stuff, I formed the cases with the max amount of 4895IMR powder for a 150 grain bullet, but I chose to use a 200 grain bullet, after all I was testing receivers and forming cases. All the receivers held up and the cases were perfectly formed but short, in my opinion too short, the cases shortened .035 thousands in the real world, on the Internet I am told brass stretches and or flows, could be both, but, my cases shorten, although I necked them up and back down it was not required and no I was not using Mrs Tucker's.

The point? Knowing I was going to remove the barrel and start on another receiver I did not jump on the wrenches.

I could have chambered 5 barrels for one receiver with 5 different chambers AND used a spanner type wrench to remove and or secure the barrel, I do believe without practice I could torque/secure the barrels the same every time, the Germans built take down pistols with the barrel in two pieces, but, that was Germans.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02863 seconds with 8 queries