View Single Post
Old January 5, 2010, 01:09 AM   #1
okiefarmer

Did I waste my money on this mould?????

I will try to post a pic, it's a gif file and dunno if'n I can. I have been having to much fun with the BP toys, and also have about as much fun casting my own pills for anything, BP and smokeless. Besides, with all this damn global warming white stuff on the ground, and colder that a witch's tit weather, there is little else to do but make pills for later.

I picked up the little LYMAN 450229 mould for my 45 rifle mainly. I kinda went nuts that day in the shop and also found the LEE 36 conical for BP. I already cast the 375 and 451 RB, but wanted to try the conical. WOW, throwin' same charge of powder down the cylinder sure makes one pack the conical tight to clear the forcing cone.

What makes me think I wasted my money is what I have read on here the past few days abour RB being the more accurate projo to start with. I kinda figured something that is spinning with the rifling might have an advantage. These hollow base pills mic .450 and I like the way they just slide right down the barell without the use of a starter. A patched ball even takes a starter usually, my thumb wears out real fast. My three single shot front stuffers are all 45, one rifle, one pistol and one flint pistol. Was hoping to use the 450 conical in the pistols too. Is this a mistake? I already have about a hunert of them greased up with the recipe I got off here long ago - - beeswax, alox, and crisco I think. I also coated up a bunch of 36 conicals for the wheel guns and some 456 for the ROA. I do prefer the conicals in the wheel guns to reduce the chance of chain fire, don't like to carry a whole can of crisco to the range, messy stuff anyway. I do shoot RB occasionally just for a change of pace. I don't shoot minute of anything, just like to make noise and try to keep it on the paper, and I like the smell of napalm (BP) in the morning, ha.

Will this 450 hollow base mould have been a good investment? Not to say I don't have a bunch of moulds I haven't used in a spell, I do.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 450229_155g.gif (4.3 KB, 107 views)

Page generated in 0.04880 seconds with 9 queries