View Single Post
Old October 7, 2007, 08:52 AM   #1
SundownRider

Ranging for a fight?

Yesterday, as I was playing with my father-in law's laser range finder, I began to think of how I might use it for HD purposes. I figured that if I knew ahead of time the range to various spots where an intruder or other from a SHTF scenario, I would be in a better position to more accurately place my shots, especially if the distance was beyond 100 yards. So I began going to each window, looking out to see what cover a person might use against me, and began ranging with the range finder. I discovered that the condominiums acroos the ComEd easement weren't as far away as I thought, and the garages for said condominiums were even closer. Good brick cover there. I alos found that the clump of trees down the way were a lot farther than I thought, and I woudl be shooting a lot lower than I wanted had a BD used that for cover.
I figured if I knew exactly how my HD rifles shot, and how the bullets dropped at particular ranges with particular loads, then I could make things very uncomfortable for anyone wanting to make things unconfortable for me. I also figured that if I knew the distance to a particular landmark (tree, rock, etc.) then I would be good for anything in that vicinity. I could also share this information with any rifleman who happened to be bunking down at my house.

Good idea, or do I have too much time on my hands?
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)

Page generated in 0.02483 seconds with 8 queries