View Single Post
Old December 6, 2008, 10:21 AM   #1
60's Refugee

Firing an Armi Sport Enfield

Hi Guys,

I just bought a new Armi Sport 1853 Enfield. It's .577. I intend to live fire it often.

I need a minnie ball mould for it. Looking down through the various adds I didn't see any clear best mould and none that said they were made for this weapon/ caliber. I was leaning towards a Lyman with one of those insert things for the hollow base. Didn't see anything. I like Lee too, cuz they are cheap and I don't cast enough to wear any of these out.

I'm also wondering if 60 grains of ffg is the best load.

In the past I have lubed the grooves of minnie balls. Used "Bore Butter" most often. Rolled up in a paper cartridge the bore butter doesn't get dirty or messy.

I've seen guys take the cartridge paper, wad it up, and insert it into the barrel between the load and the ball. Does this help in any way...other than starting the grass on fire? I think back in the day they just dropped the ball down the barrel without the paper and for the first shot or two the ball just slides down by itself. Maybe the paper wad helps round ball in .69 smoothbores, but I'm not sure it would help a rifled bore/minnie ball combo.

It's not so much that I'm rusty (I haven't live fired one of these in more than 20 years) but more that I suppose after all this time there might be some new tech or notions about it.

Harry

Page generated in 0.03378 seconds with 8 queries