View Single Post
Old May 4, 2012, 11:40 AM   #12
Crow Hunter

Mine in red, all answers based on use in a semi-auto rifle. Other uses would change my choices.

Quote:
first off, i would like to know other peoples opinions and feelings about gas operated (long and short gas piston systems), recoil operation (long, like a browning auto 5, and short like a johnson 41, or handgun) as well as blowback, standard blowback, and the various delay mechanisms such as roller, and lever delayed... and for gas and recoil operated systems, what type of locking mechanism do you like most (rotating bolt, tilting bolt, etc)

what do you think would be the best operation in your opinions and why?

In my opinion the short stroke piston has the best attributes for a semi-automatic rifle. Assuming the rifle is designed adequately to support it. (Not a piston stuck in an non-piston rifle) The short stroke piston isolates the operating system from the rest of the rifle, this helps reduce fouling, allows variation of barrel length/weapon weight, easy accommodation of suppressor back pressure, allows for Over the Beach vent holes, could allow for accommodation of gas erosion on vent holes on barrels with replaceable bushings.

Rotating multi-lug bolts with appropriate radiusing/chamfering to reduce stress risers. The mult-lug rotating bolt gives greater accuracy due to more repeatable engagement and potentially better accomodation of fouling if designed correctly.

---

i would also like to know what type of feeding mechanism you think is best.. box magazine, internal or external... helical, rotary, belt, as well as what magazines of already existing rifles you like most?.. ar-15 mags, AK mags, etc..

External, properly designed polymer magazine with steel inserts for feed lips. Option #2 is aluminum mags similar to the AR. Steel is on the bottom of the list.

---

im also curious what you guys think about one piece furniture such as those used on the garand, M1A, mini-14, and SKS, vs the seperation of forearm, grip, and stock such as those on the AR-15, AK, FAL, ect

Separate.

---

i would also like to know how you feel about the different calibers available... if you prefer lighter, more plentiful ammunition, such as 5.56 or 7.62x39, or if you believe the added range and stopping power of a .308 to get more done with fewer rounds is the better way to go?

Depends on use, assuming general issue combat, 5.56 type rounds. (5.45/5.8/5.56)

---

and lastly, if anyone else could think of any other features or ideas, feel free to discusss them

Must have modular components. Ability to remove and replace components without heavy tools. Lighter weight components. Aluminum/polymer wherever possible. All operating controls (Safety, mag release, trigger, bolt hold open/release) available to the dominant hand (right or left) leaving the off hand free to facilitate mag changes, scratch nose, etc. Ability to charge the rifle with the offhand without disturbing the sight picture. Designed so that it is impossible for the firing pin to fall without the bolt being fully locked into battery. NO BULLPUPS!

Good luck.

Page generated in 0.02315 seconds with 8 queries