View Single Post
Old October 18, 2013, 12:07 AM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

It will do it without breaking, but it won't do it indefinitely without breaking. As I said, I've done doublefeed drills with a Glock which involved dropping the slide on a chambered round and have not had an extractor chip or break. The OP in this thread also mentioned that he did a number of doublefeed drills and he didn't damage his extractor.

I've also been in a class where everyone in the class did repeated doublefeed drills using Glocks and no one had an extractor problem.

So they will tolerate some direct-chamber loading--but they're not going to handle a steady pounding and therefore it's recommended that the user avoid it whenever possible.
Quote:
I think ALL military pistols are required to do that as otherwise the gun would be useless if the magazine were lost or damaged.
From what I can determine it's actually more common to find that an autopistol is NOT designed for direct chamber loading than the reverse.

As far as a pistol being useless without direct chamber loading capability when the magazine is lost, I think that it would be pretty easy to make the case that it's still pretty close to useless on a modern battlefield even if it can be direct chamber loaded without damage to the extractor. Also, I seriously doubt any person in combat would let the fear of chipping the extractor hook keep them from direct chamber loading a pistol if that were the only way to fire a shot.

Page generated in 0.03209 seconds with 8 queries