Thread: I did it!!!
View Single Post
Old September 1, 2012, 10:58 PM   #1
red96ta

I did it!!!

I finally got enough time to go out and shoot my Pietta 1860. Had no powder measure, no capper, not much anything.

Despite the lack of a measure, I had found a 45 auto casing a few weeks ago on my last trip to the mountains and did a bit of research and found out that it holds about 28 grains of black powder...close enough for me. So I packed it all back up into the car and went to the mountains this morning. Right before I got to the spot, I forgot to get a tub of crisco from the store so I ended up at a small mountain market and all they had was margarine....lol....you know what, it worked just fine and made the gun smell like fresh popcorn between cylinders.

I've discovered that shooting black powder isn't like anything I've done before. Normally, you can hear a report and say, 'that's a 45' or 'that's a 9mm' just based on the report...these things sound like cannons.

Afterwards, I broke the gun to it's component parts and cleaned it all up...should I break the gun down to it's last screw to clean, or is just breaking it down to it's base parts groups enough?

Page generated in 0.02357 seconds with 8 queries