View Single Post
Old September 15, 2005, 09:59 PM   #14
dave_in_delaware

Thank you everyone who responded. I am also glad it happened the way it did. I'm not 100% sure that they weren't just doing their own thing, and unintentionally moving closer to us. I wasn't in fear of my life (or my fiancee's), but I was feeling like they were getting too close for comfort. I figured it was better to just be safe and get in the car and get in the line of cars to leave the parking garage, so that's what we did.

I guess my overall question, after reading all your responses, is at what point could I legally: 1. show my gun? (to let them know to stop advancing, that I'm armed) and, 2. draw my gun? (to get ready to defend myself and my fiancee). Keep in mind that I did see them, and they were just getting too close for my comfort zone (but not rushing up on us, or indicating they had bad intentions in any way). Where is the legal "line" between staying concealed, brandishing a weapon (to deter any possible attack), and just plain pointing a gun at someone and threatening THEM w/ bodily harm? I guess it's better to ask these questions now before it's too late and I find myself in that situation again, only next time I could be armed (CCW). Also, even though they were apparently unarmed, but yet in a group, how close do they have to be before the use of lethal force is justified? Only when I FEEL like my life or my fiancee's life is in dire jeopardy? Wouldn't that probably be too late? Again, that fine "line" is what i'm looking for here.

XavierBreath: Thanks for the very intelligent and humbling answer. A gun might have certainly been a bad thing to have in that situation. Especially with how close they were. Time would have been against me for a holstered draw (even though I practice it at home), especially against 4 young men. I try not to "what-if" too much, but this situation we were in monday night was something I hadn't thought of.

357mag: I wouldn't have shot a warning shot. I was just listing things that came to mind. There were other people in the garage, too, and people down on the street outside, so shooting in any direction other than COM at the punks could have been dangerous. Sounds like unless they were attacking us, using my gun would have been a bad idea.

Russ538: Good point, get in the car, and make THAT my weapon, with my gun as backup. LOL... interesting.

SomeKid: I'm all for criminals not repeating their offenses, but

DanV1317: Actually, it was DISTURBED (with 10 years and Il Nino). It was at the Masonic Temple. We parked down the street 2 blocks away in the Scranton Parking Authority's garage, on the 1st level up. There were quite a few "interesting" types of people there, for sure. But, there were no actual incidents that I heard of. Everyone is actually usually pretty nice, despite the heavy metal head-banger stereotypes.

Everyone: I understand your points and ideas you made. When possible, always use your main weapon (your brain) and get out of a bad situation. and basically, only draw your weapon IF you intend to use it (i.e. in fear for your life or the life of your loved one).

This has been very educational for me. Thank you all for your input. Feel free to continue posting, and respond to my additional questions. I'll be reading your responses!

1. Springfield Armory XD-9 sub-compact (1110 rnds as of 06/18/05)
2. Springfield Armory XD-9 sub-compact (w/ blue & silver GK, gift for fiancee)
3. Ithaca Gun Company Model 37 12ga shotgun (from Grandfather)
4. Future: AR-15 build

Page generated in 0.03460 seconds with 8 queries