Thread: 223rem agony
View Single Post
Old October 29, 2001, 10:55 PM   #13
Steve Smith

Jeez! you can't say anything around here without someone trying to prove you wrong!

Keith, take note of the 4th to last word in my post. MIGHT.

I don't use AE's and won't because of the ESTABLISHED record of Federal brass. I use USGI brass and it works great. I was only trying to explain why so many of us at AR15.com have had the same story. I'm quite glad those guys told me about it before I used some at a match! Its quite possible, however, for a regular Joe to load his 55 grainers many times without having problems with federal brass...I have no idea, it was truly a guess. I only shoot 77 and 80 grain SMK bullets. Keith, you do bring up a good point, though...why even TRY to use the Federal brass? Buy brass from www.rvow.com for a pitance of the cost of Federal, and you're good to go with some case prep (which the Federal doesn't have eitehr). The pressure curves are quite different when comparing a 55 gr. bullet at ~3000+ fps and an 80 doing 2600 to 2900 fps.

shu, try RL15 when you get a chance...it meters really well and shouldn't bounce everywhere.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member

Page generated in 0.03431 seconds with 8 queries