View Single Post
Old April 12, 2013, 12:55 PM   #30
carguychris

Follow up...

In my earlier post, when I wrote...
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguychris
I believe that this legislation could essentially result in the end of all lawful non-family FTF sales...
...I probably should have worded this a little differently, perhaps as largely unregulated lawful non-family FTF sales.

One particular provision in the "Exemptions" caught my attention...
Quote:
(B) the transfer is made between an unlicensed transferor and an unlicensed transferee residing in the same State, which takes place in such State, if-
(i) the Attorney General certifies that State in which the transfer takes place has in effect requirements under law that are generally equivalent to the requirements of this section; and
(ii) the transfer was conducted in compliance with the laws of the State;...
Here's my interpretation: if the state has a CHL system or a firearms purchase permit system in place, AND this system has standards equal to or in excess of a NICS check, AND a NICS-disqualifying event would also result in the revocation of this permit or license, then the US Attorney General can certify that this license or permit is essentially equal to a NICS check. Viola- it's legal to conduct a FTF sale to an in-state buyer who has the permit or license.

Thoughts?

If this is the case, then the only missing piece in most states with CHLs is some sort of in-state process for verifying whether the permit or license is valid.

Page generated in 0.02777 seconds with 8 queries