View Single Post
Old September 21, 2011, 08:19 PM   #3
Habaz72

You said you checked that it fit in the chamber.. when I do this I disassemble the gun and drop the dummy bullet into the barrel and observe how it looks and take note of the sound the bullet makes as it drops in. Compare that to a factory round that has the same properties (bullet profile and weight). Look at how much of the end of the bullet is sticking out and watch how easily they both slide in.

Next I put the weapon back together and remove all live ammo from the area... I feed my dummy round(s) into the magazine and cycle the slide, slingshot that bad boy (pull back all the way and release). Observe that the slide went fully into battery. This will tell you if the round is too short or long for the magazine and the chamber. Then cycle the slide again to see if it extracts and ejects properly. Observe your dummy round around the bullet and case mouth area for any dings that weren't there before and also use the calipers to check the OAL again. You may find that the bullet engaged the rifling or got dinged on the way up the feed ramp. If the OAL is shorter after a full force cycle you have too loose of a case around the bullet.

From what I understand the OAL shouldn't go lower than published amounts because that means the bullet is seated too deeply giving less room inside the case which will increase pressures very quickly. But the only danger of going higher would be feeding problems in your weapon (not as dangerous as a kaboom).

Page generated in 0.04025 seconds with 8 queries