View Single Post
Old March 8, 2007, 12:05 AM   #1
BigBoreGunner

Powder recommendations for multiple cartridges?

I am going to start reloading. With prices being what theyare for ammo and reloading components these days, I'm wondering if it's possible to just order a minimum of different powders for the cartridges I'm going to reload and use them across a few of them.

I'm looking for powders that can be loaded with economy for the following cartridges:

.308 Win/7.62 NATO
.45 Auto (ACP)
9mm Luger
9mm Makarov
.38 Special/.357 Magnum
7.62x54R Russian
7.62x39 Russian

Also, I'll be loading the following cartridges in the near future:
.223/5.56 NATO
6.8mm Rem SPC
.40 S&W/10mm Auto
.303 British
7.92/8mm Mauser
7.62 Nagant
.44 Special/.44 Magnum
12 Gauge shotshell/slug
20 Gauge shotshell/slug

I'm looking to duplicate factory/military rounds, using FMJ/JHP bullets. I don't forsee using lead bullets at all, unless they're the plated type (too many indoor ranges around here). Most of my firearms are semi-auto of one type or another, so the loaded rounds must function the action. I'm also trying to keep muzzle flash to a minimum, and I'd prefer powders that don't burn as "dirty" as others I've seen (powders in Russian-made ammo are VERY dirty burning stuff, as I'm sure many of you know). Military surplus powders are certainly on my list of possible purchases.

Just looking today at MidwayUSA's powder selection: Yeah, they have a decent selection, but with a $20 hazmat fee, PLUS a $10 handling fee, PLUS their normal shipping and handling fee, we're already talking about $40+ in fees on a one pound canister of powder that retails for $18! Buying in bulk is fine, if you already know what you need - otherwise, buying an 8 pound jug for $100 or more (plus the $40-$50 in extra fees, don't forget) isn't economical - and this is just for ONE kind of powder. Everyone else seems to have three or more kinds of powder for each cartridge they reload, so we're talking MAJOR dollars here if this is what's required - even if just ONE different powder per cartridge is required, it's easily over $1500 just in powder. Can't see how this is saving any money.

As I'm on a fixed income (and a limited one at that, on my military disability pension), ammo costs and availability is becoming a major issue for me. Reloading looked like the way to go, but not at these prices. Please help!

Page generated in 0.03200 seconds with 8 queries