View Single Post
Old January 6, 2013, 11:10 AM   #20
carguychris

I'd like to add a few comments.
Quote:
Non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner works to get the powder residue out...
Although this post suggests the correct product, I'd like to emphasize that it's imperative to use non-chlorinated brake cleaner rather than the chlorinated kind. The latter will reportedly do really nasty things to many plastics, and most post-WWII firearms have plastic in them somewhere, even so-called "all-metal" guns. (If you buy the commonplace Brākleen brand, you want the green can, NOT the red can.)

Second, the advantage of brake cleaner and Gunscrubber-type aerosol products is that they strip every last trace or oil and grease from metal; however, this is also their greatest weakness. If they are used on natural metal, blued, or phosphate-finished or parkerized parts, they will be left with no corrosion protection, and MUST be carefully re-oiled afterwards. Modern polymer-frame pistols generally include relatively few such parts, but IMHO the warning is still good to remember.

Although I really like synthetic motor oil as a lubricant, it's not all that great at preventing rust, as it's intended to be used inside an engine that gets very hot on a regular basis and has an internal ventilation system to purge moisture. Most experienced auto mechanics can tell you sad stories about how badly an engine can rust internally if it's not operated for a number of years. Gun oils should be used where corrosion protection is important.
Quote:
Hoppes #9 and breakfree clp is all I use unless corrosive ammo is used.
Before this statement causes too much confusion, FWIW today's average gun owner is highly unlikely to inadvertently encounter corrosive ammo in a common Western caliber such as .45ACP. All new-production commercial ammo sold in the USA today is non-corrosive, including ammo from Eastern countries such as Russia, and this has been true for many decades.

Corrosive primers are used in Russian military ammo and were also used in vintage commercial and military ammo from Western countries. Some American shooters can tell you stories of shooting cheap corrosive WWII-era military surplus 9mm and .45ACP from big green metal cans, but the supply of this ammo ran dry decades ago, and you're unlikely to encounter it today unless it's in the hands of a collector.

Last edited by carguychris; January 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: minor reword...

Page generated in 0.02120 seconds with 8 queries