View Single Post
Old July 10, 2000, 11:42 AM   #1
JackFlash

Here's one that keeps cropping up:

Lots of guns are chambered for the .357 magnum. You can shoot 38 Spc. in these guns, but it seems too that you could load the 38 Spc. to magnum pressures to use in a gun designed for the .357 magnum.

I have a Smith Mod. 10 +P K-Frame in 38 Spc. which is the identical gun to the .357 mag. except for the chamber length.

The real issue with loading the 38 Spc. case to magnum velocities/pressures is that the shorter case will develop a higher pressure with the same load as the higher capacity/longer case of the .357 mag.

Several firearms engineers who know what they're talking about assure me that the web in the .38 Spc. case is sufficiently strong and sufficiently supported to manage magnum load pressures.

So, I'm working up loads that move into the low end of the magnum range. We're using bulky, slow burning "magnum" powders, checking for pressure indicators, and staying on the low end of the magnum load data.

Chrono data shows the loads generate magnum velocities. But I don't have any means to measure working pressure other than some fancy/arcane math.

Anybody else working on this sort of load? Maybe 44 Spc. cases in a 44 magnum?

Page generated in 0.03120 seconds with 8 queries