View Single Post
Old October 1, 2012, 03:29 PM   #1
haskins02

Lee Bullet Seating Die Problem – Bullets Too Loose

A few months ago I purchased a Lee Deluxe Rifle Die set for my .308, which came with their Dead Length Bullet Seating Die. It seemed to be working fine initially, but for my latest reloads I noticed that no matter what I do, the bullets are too loose after being seated in the neck. After seating, I can push/pull the bullets in the neck relatively easily with my fingers. If I use calipers to measure the OAL, the OAL gets shorter and shorter as the calipers push the bullet further into the case.

I was thinking the problem was with my Lee Collet die, i.e. getting too loose a bullet fit during neck sizing. However, after neck sizing each case, I test it with a bullet to see how easily it fits into the neck. A Lee Precision Youtube video said a bullet should go into the sized case “with light finger pressure.” However, I size mine to be a little tighter so it takes some effort to push a test bullet in the case. So it would seem my problem is not with the Collet Die.

I also noticed that if I shake the Lee seating die, it rattles. I took it apart and there is a little cylinder that is loose within the center of the die – it moves up and down freely if I shake the die. I’m not sure if that is how it is supposed to be, or if something is broken inside the die.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Greg

Page generated in 0.02400 seconds with 8 queries