View Single Post
Old December 25, 2012, 04:31 PM   #5
Uncle Malice

Thanks for the input guys!

Quote:
Looks good. You might decide the stock you have works just fine. They are much heavier than I'd want on a hunting rifle, but work out for this type of rifle. I'd shoot it for a while before deciding. If you do decide to replace the stock the B&C would be my choice for this rifle as well.

If you're serious about getting the most accuracy and are going to become a serious shooter I'd invest in reloading equipment 1st. Developing good handloads is part of the fun of gun ownership to me and will make more difference in the guns accuarcy than any other "accessory" you could put on it. Upgrading the scope would be the next most important step with a better stock last if I were putting things in priority order.
I like the feel of the stock, but the fore end is very flimsy and easily makes contact with the barrel. I'd rather have it free floated to know that it is not compromising my accuracy. I am interested in reloading too, and I probably will invest in that once I get everything else squared away. I'm sure I will upgrade the glass as well. I think I need to get comfortable with shooting through a scope to see what kind of features I want or need that comes standard on more expensive scopes, you know? I know everyone says you should spend as much on the scope as you do on the rifle... I just need to figure out why that is. As far as I can tell, the Nikon gives me a clear sight picture and reticle, good eye relief, and easy adjustment. Unless it is unable to hold a decent zero, I'm not sure what I need to upgrade right away for. Maybe once I start shooting various distances and need repeatable clicks to zero back to a certain distance, that may become a bigger deal. For now, I think it's fine. I definitely do appreciate the info though!

Quote:
I agree with jmr40. I have a 700 LTR 308 Cal. 20" brl 1-12 twist. I changed the trigger to a jewell 10 oz. I only bench rest shoot with this rifle. Your rifle is the same only with a 26" brl. the stock is different, I believe yours is pillar bedded if so torque the action screws to 65" lbs and your good to go.The rifle is a tack driver once you find what your rifle likes 168 gr is the heaviest bullet I shoot. When you start to roll your own, it opens up a whole new world. You can change the stock at any time, to those pretty laminated ones or tacticool. First change the trigger, comes with instructions can do yourself. Than most of all alot of trigger time, range & dry fire. looking for that one hole 5 shot group. Good luck with your rifle. Be Safe Chris
My SPS Tactical also has a 20" barrel, but the LTR has a fluted barrel and HS Precision stock, rather than the Hogue stock. Thanks for the info though. I've got a buddy at work with a big Dillon 650 setup. I think he reloads for 308... maybe I'll go over there and play with some different loads on his equipment.

Quote:
Hey there and congrats, nice rifle.

I also just got one, I happen to have got the AAC-SD model of the SPS Tactical's, not like I looked for it specific but that is what the store had so I basically 'had to upgrade' lol in order to get. Very very nice rifles.

I have two Nikon ProStaffs on my .22LR's and they are faultless, very good for the price. I have put a new Monarch on this .308 but I had saved for a while so I just did it all at once, you have plenty of time to save up for upgrading or maybe you find, you hit what you're aiming at with the ProStaff, so why not right?

Congrats bro hope you like yours as much as I like mine, a lot.
Thanks man. I was looking pretty closely at the AAC-SD as well. I was thinking about possibly going to a suppressor at some point as well... but in the end, I figured that by the time I actually spent the money on the paperwork and equipment for a suppressor, I could just get a replacement threaded barrel as well.

Page generated in 0.02458 seconds with 8 queries