View Single Post
Old May 21, 2011, 12:54 PM   #86
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye
If LEO truly tries to enter my residence without probable cause or a warrant, I am not likely to interfere unless proper ID has not been presented. Then it is open season on prowlers.

But if properly ID'd, I would be as polite as possible to avoid any complications. I would then sort out the legalities later.

Maybe I am missing something here?
The only thing you might be missing is the modern tendency of police departments to turn just about every warrant "service" into a dynamic entry. The classic concept of knocking politely, identifying themselves as police (which means showing an ID, not just wearing a uniform that can be purchased over the Internet) and allowing the occupant to read the warrant (and thus have an opportunity to point out that the warrant is for John Smith on 1234 Donut Drive, not for Jon Smythe on 123 Doughnut Street) has been thrown under the bus ... generally in the name of "officer safety" (although they usually claim it's to protect the public).

Basically, they don't like the idea that they are supposed to "serve" warrants. They prefer to rely on a "shock and awe" strategy so they can (hopefully -- for them) overwhelm any objections by massive display of force. Which was perhaps a viable concept ... up until the bad guys started wearing cop uniforms to perpetrate home invasions. The cops (and the courts) are either behind the times or intentionally playing dumb in that they do not acknowledge that there is no way I can KNOW that the posse of armed men in black BDUs bashing in my door at oh-dark-thirty are really cops. Anybody can yell, "Police! Open up!"

It's the same principle as requiring the red paint on the muzzles of airsoft pistols. How does that tell a cop not to shoot the person holding the pistol? Does any sane person think a BG isn't smart enough to put some red paint on the muzzle of a real gun?

No knock warrants, short delay warrants, and dynamic entries should not be allowed -- period.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; May 21, 2011 at 01:01 PM.

Page generated in 0.02672 seconds with 8 queries