View Single Post
Old August 23, 2011, 10:28 AM   #49
Gary Wells

Previously posted by "johnbt":

"How far a spent case should travel is a pretty weak way to determine whether you have a good choice for spring weight in your gun."

Not if you know your gun it isn't. Smarter people than me figured this out a long time ago. Do you have a better idea?

Not necessarily a better idea, John, but I like Wilson's philosophy regarding recoil spring selection which seems to be that the the distance that spent cases are thrown / discarded is only a part of the picture. Total reliability in regards towards failure to eject, ability to hold the slide open upon last round departure from the magazine, enough room to slingshot, are paramount, how the gun feels under recoil, how the gun feels upon slide opening and return to battery, and how far the empty case travels and in what direction are all a part of proper recoil spring selection. At least, that's the way that it seems to me, John.

Possibly adding the phrase "by itself" between the words "travel" and "is" in my statement would have been a little less confusing.

Page generated in 0.02183 seconds with 8 queries