View Single Post
Old June 27, 2013, 04:42 PM   #1
Bill Akins

Just won this on GB today. PICS. Created another project lol.

I was the only bidder and won this Uberti 1858 Remington with conversion cylinder on GB today for $300.00 and $20.00 shipping. $320.00 total. It had been originally auction listed starting at $375.00 but the dealer selling it on consignment dropped the price to $300.00 and I jumped on it immediately. I may have just gotten lucky and others didn't realize it had been price dropped.

Haven't even paid for it yet and naturally it hasn't been shipped to me yet. The nice thing is the dealer (as per NFA law) agreed to ship the revolver and cylinder separately and in separate boxes, so he can ship it to me directly and save me the hassle of driving to my dealer's and paying for a transfer.

I figure that's a real good deal since just blue conversion cylinders by themselves for the Uberti Remy go for about $225.00 or so regularly on GB. So figuring $225.00 cost for a conversion cylinder (and this one is fluted!), that means I got the Uberti (minus BP percussion cylinder) for only $75.00! (Not including the $20.00 Shipping). How could I go wrong?

Whoever originally owned it, had done a bad antiquing job on it with a chemical (naval jelly?) to remove the blue finish on the revolver and conversion cylinder. I can tell from the pics that whatever chemical was used very very slightly etched the metal a tiny bit. But not to worry, I know that I can buff that right out using my buffing wheel (and dremel for the small areas) and some medium and extra fine rouge that I recently bought to do a buff job on my snubby barrel S&W 1917 project I completed recently.

Obviously the condition of its finish is why I was the only bidder and got it for such a good price. Plus the dealer selling it, lowering the price in the last few hours of the auction helped too. To my good fortune others either did not catch the lowered price, or else they didn't like the removed finish and didn't realize what a jewel in the rough it was, woo hoo!

Once I get the Uberti Remy mirror polished to where I can easily see my teeth in it, then I'll reblue it and it will look like new. Maybe more highly polished than new. Not sure why the owner did such a bad job on antiquing it. The dealer who was selling it on consignment said he didn't know what chemical was used nor why the original owner did such a bad antiquing job on it, nor did he know anything about it other than the owner wanted him to sell it on consignment for him. Dealer did say the bore was in good shape. Anyway, it's mine now and I'm very happy with what I paid for it.

Naturally it looks bad right now, but that's all just easily buffed out very slight chemical etching and a little surface rust, but not too bad. The good thing is it's a steel frame Uberti and you won't recognize it when I get through with it. I had a Pietta Remy in stainless with a stainless conversion cylinder and the same length barrel, but I sold it because I wasn't nuts about the adjustable target sights it had. To me, it took away from the authentic look of the gun, so I sold it to a shooting buddy of mine who loves it. I just prefer the non adjustable sights on the 1858 Remy, unless it's the 18 inch barrel 1866 Remy revolving carbine. Then I want the adjustable sights. I really like the flutes on this .45 Colt (black powder only cartridge) conversion cylinder. Haven't seen another conversion cylinder with flutes like this for the Remy. Anyone know who makes this conversion cylinder?

Now I just need to pick up an Uberti percussion cylinder for it too, so I can shoot either percussion or BP filled cartridges in the conversion cylinder.
Best of both worlds.

Anyway, here's the "before" pics of what it looks like right now from the auction pics. I'll post the "after" pics later on when I get it buffed out and re-blued.

I think it was a GREAT deal. Whatcha think guys?

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; June 27, 2013 at 07:16 PM.

Page generated in 0.03421 seconds with 8 queries