View Single Post
Old February 5, 2013, 12:41 PM   #20
WallyM3

I guess I do approach my manufacturing with some precision. Customers seem to like it, though.

I've ordered a tub of Hornady's Unique, Chris. Thanks for the lead on that.

Back in the '70s, the ship I was stationed on still had 1919s and Garands in the small arms locker. For a few years I was swimming in GI brass, live (from the '60s) and a lot more empties (those 1919s were fun for everybody).

This is a guess, but during that period I wouldn't be surprised if I went through 5,000 GI cases and a smattering of commercial stuff and never had any more trouble with '06 than I did with 45ACP (we had Thompsons, too).

If I understand your post, Guffey, we seem to agree that cleaning our dies any more than a good wipe out, particularly sizers, drives the coefficient of friction to the point that cases will stick. I've never done anything more than run a 45 cal dry patch into the "chamber" and that's that. And sometimes I forget to do even that little bit. However, the offending dies in this exercise were both new.

I've replaced the expander assembly that I FUBAR'd, but the new design wouldn't change the O.D. sizing issue one bit. The cases are going in and coming out like their 'spozed ta' now (I have been using the RCBS lube).

I cut the treads for the expander button so that, should a case ever become stuck again, I can unthread it within the stuck case and remove the rod. The original assembly was one piece.

As I mentioned, I've never had a stuck case prior to this experience and couldn't figger out what wazzup, but I appear to be back in business now.

Many thanks for all your replies and assistance.

Wally.

Page generated in 0.03545 seconds with 8 queries