View Single Post
Old September 12, 2001, 12:07 PM   #1
PaladinX13

Correct way to handle hostage situations?

Many are condemning those lost on the planes as sheep or cowards, but I'd like to ask what is the appropriate response from civilians in hostage situations? No doubt, it varies from situation to situation, but perhaps a few questions to get you thinking, I'm not sure of my own answers but one should not be so quick to judge "They should have done this..."

This is not a self-defense situation... it is not as simple as "us vs them". It is a hostage situation. You may be perfectly willing to sacrifice your life, but do you have the right to sacrifice the life of another? For instance, if your actions would endanger someone else's child (held hostage, knife to neck, for instance)- after they've shown a willingness to stab and kill- should you then still rally against them? This is a general question, not plane specific, but with the condition of being disarmed...

How do you deal with disinformation? The terrorists can make threats, demands, and claims about what they can do, what they want, etc. How do you know if they're right when they claim they can blow up the plane with a touch of a button? If they say they are flying to New York to pick up their brother (meaning likely a landing and peaceful resolution)? If they say they will crash the plane at the first sign of resistance? At what point do you have the right to claim they're lying and fight back? What if they tell you nothing? We should always fight back?

Finally, is it not a fact that most hijackings end "peacefully" in the real world- not just some movie fantasy? This recent tragedy is the only time I've heard of passengers ("potentially" we don't really know do we?) fighting back- ending in a crash. Has there ever been a successful case of passengers fighting back? (And we're not talking just a lone nut, but a cohesive planned act of terrorism)

I can understand the frustration with the apparent "lack of action" on the part of the passengers, but hopefully we'll be able to answer some of these questions. If anyone works in law enforcement or counter-terrorism I'd especially be interested in your answers. For us, what is the correct way to handle a hostage situation?

Edit: I just want to say that I do not doubt the heroism or bravery of those that fought back- but I am inquiring into the most rational or tactical approach. In my mind, I believe that the terrorists on the PA flight were, perhaps, less competent- allowing several cell phone calls. We know that Tom Burnett called his wife saying "We’re all gonna die, but three of us are going to do something" (probably two others seated with him). Likely, during their movement others rallied... however, the piloting terrorist, unwilling to accept the failure of the passengers retaking the plane, crashed it. Another possibility, their attack failed and the terrorists crashed it before more people became heroic. Just my mental recreation. The point is, while in hindsight their actions were for the best, what is the best action for your "average" situation?

Last edited by PaladinX13; September 12, 2001 at 12:42 PM.

Page generated in 0.04325 seconds with 8 queries