View Single Post
Old March 26, 2001, 04:55 PM   #7
sundog

Want something to just make you cringe? I clean iron mould with brake cleaner and steel wool - get really aggressive. I won't have a mould that I have to fight. With blocks closed, I slip in a wad of 4 ought steel wool or green scotch brite , add some cleaner and start twisting. When I'm done, a good clean up with some more brake cleaner and then Midway Drop-Out on a q-tip. Also aggressively clean vent lines with a razor blade which sometimes creates new burrs. Aluminun moulds get a little less aggressively cleaned to avoid scratching and almost never with an abrasive. Done the smoke thing too, and it works good using a long nose butane grill lighter. Sometimes a really good rub with the right shaped piece of hard wood up and down the part lines helps too (I guess it gets some of those almost microscopic burrs). Dick is right about an all over spray before put away is a good rust prohibitor and makes for easy cleanup before next use since it's already what you're using for a release agent. I've not damamged a mould yet, even though I've tossed, sold, ann given away a few just because I didn't like their performance. sundog

Page generated in 0.03082 seconds with 8 queries