View Single Post
Old April 15, 2013, 06:22 PM   #81
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I am not insane, and I realize this system I describe will 99.999% never happen, but I think it would be good.
If it won't happen, why waste time, money, and effort on it? I don't see such a system stopping those who are disinclined to obey the law in the first place.

Quote:
Forms prevented 120k cases in 2 years... so, yes, they do.
No, they didn't. Forms may have resulted in denials, but those denials are often due to incomplete or inaccurate information. As others have pointed out, actual prosecutions are in the low double-digits. If we average those two numbers out, it's a lot less than 120,000.

Quote:
I read a good amount of it before I drowned in the legalese. I think, for the most part, it is pretty good, actually.
The problem is, it's the legalese that bites us. The Toomey/Machin amendment doesn't outlaw the creation of a nationwide registry, it just doesn't allow he Attorney General to be the one creating it. It also guts the "peaceable journey" provision of the FOPA.

Quote:
Until we do, why not have a system in place to stop them from getting the guns while we work on how to get around to prosecuting them better?
Because the "interim" system will never go away, even after a replacement is implemented. That's simply the way bureaucracy works.

Quote:
If you were stopped falsely, you'll get your ability back.
Talk to someone who's gone through the appeals process. It isn't easy, it isn't instant, it isn't free, and it doesn't always work.

If you're denied on a sale, the burden falls to you to prove your innocence. If it turns out the FBI has the wrong information, they're not going to do the footwork to correct it. If it's a case of local law enforcement records being incorrect, you'll have to find the appropriate party and make arrangements to fix it, which often involves the services of an attorney. That assumes that you can find the entity, and that they can find the information.

In one case, I know a person who blew over $6000 in attorney's fees getting an uncooperative sheriff's department to dig out records from 1981, which had been stored off site and subsequently lost. All this was over a traffic fine that was mistakenly reported as unpaid. It took him almost two years.

Expanding this to all gun sales? No thanks.

Page generated in 0.03643 seconds with 8 queries