View Single Post
Old January 14, 2007, 06:49 PM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

Overbored?

Perhaps, but there are some really slow powders out there today. A 7mm or a .30 would likely be a bit more practical. And, who says you have to use the full length .45-70 case anyway? Shortening the case some would result in a less "overbore" round. Anyway, it would certainly be something no one else has (yet!). This has got me thinking, maybe it is time to rebarrel my Siamese Mauser (.45-70)! I'll have to do some research. A 6.5mm on that case would be time consuming to form, but think about it! Probably could duplicate the performance of the new Super Short Mags so many people are so crazy about. This deserves further thought.

Just checked my copy of Unintended Consequences, and in the section I like to call the Varmint Hunter's Revenge", the rifle is a 6mm, using the .348 Winchester case. So my idea of a 6.5mm on the .45-70 case isn't all that far fetched.

Anyway, please keep us informed on the progress of your project, we wish you well. Enjoy, and good luck.

Page generated in 0.03904 seconds with 8 queries