View Single Post
Old October 31, 2013, 05:03 PM   #13
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser
I understand why you want to do it, but I don't understand what the appeal of the Axis is. It is the product of a corner-cutting exercise (on an existing action), and was designed to be as cheap as possible to produce, while maximizing profit.

Several other options on the market, though, were designed from scratch to be good rifles that reduced machining time and production costs. -The Marlin X7s being a perfect example. ...and the X7s have a great reputation, right out of the box.
I do think the Marlin has better features out of the box, and most of them shoot very well, but $270 for a brand new stainless action that you can put a nice stock, trigger, and barrel on all in your garage seems like a great deal. The trigger on the Marlin is pretty good but it isn't a Timney or Rifle Basix. If you wanted to customize and didn't care about stainless then the Stevens 200 is the way to go, IMO.

Now if you are like the OP and just want to keep the factory barrel and put on a nice stock, you really can't beat a stainless Axis and a Boyd's stock for ~$370. Plus there are probably a lot of Edge/Axis rifles in closets that people would shoot again if they put a nice stock on them.

Page generated in 0.04081 seconds with 8 queries