View Single Post
Old May 10, 2012, 08:46 PM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skadoosh
Quote:
Authorities said they arrested 27-year-old Christopher Brooks, 21-year-old Dustin Perry and 23-year-old Richard Stockdale late Monday. Like seven others arrested last week in a multi-agency investigation, all three were charged with paramilitary training, attempt to shoot into an occupied dwelling and evidence of prejudices while committing offense, a first-degree felony.

It is a felony in Florida to participate in paramilitary training for use "in furtherance of, a civil disorder within the United States." The "prejudices" charge falls under Florida's hate crimes law.
Seems like a good arrest to me. I dont see 'tactical training' at a legit training facility being threatened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vostracker
Skadoosh: Thanks for clarifying the law. I have no problem in the individuals being arrested for their crimes, I just thought tcharge listing, "Paramilitary Training" brought up an interesting situation where one could include tactical training into it.

I have met some individuals who think and see any type of "Tactical Training", such as a tactical carbine/shotgun courses as paramilitary type training!!
"Tactical" training most likely IS paramilitary training. And many (most?) states have laws that prohibit paramilitary training ... generally subject to a proviso like Florida's -- when the (alleged) paramilitary training is carried out in furtherance of an intent to cause civil unrest (or similar verbiage). I don't recall if any of those laws I've looked at ever actually defined what "paramilitary" means in the context of the law, so it would be easy to include just about any sort of tactical training.

IMHO, the issue isn't the paramilitary-ness of "tactical" training (since "tactical" usually isn't well-defined by the places that purport to offer it, either), but the intent behind the training. Those state laws I've seen generally paralleled Florida's, which means the arrest isn't because of participating in paramilitary training, but doing so with the intention of causing civil unrest. In other words -- training to be a terrorist. So the real concern is how broadly that might be construed, and what level of proof a jurisdiction must produce to support a charge that "paramilitary" training is for the purpose of creating civil unrest.

Page generated in 0.03369 seconds with 8 queries