View Single Post
Old July 22, 2008, 09:14 AM   #14
CraigC

Quote:
The US Navy would argue with your statement that hard chrome is just as rust resistant as electroless nickel---I have handled a few firearms that were on Navy ships for many years and they looked very good---the Navy has used electroless nickel for firearms many times.

If you want a harder finish, you can nitride coat EN.

The area in which EN really shines though is a very protective coating that can be applied to close fitting parts---such as a precision rifle.
EN has a lubricity to it, and will hold up and work fine in closer tolerance applications.
I know some parts of AKs for example are chrome plated, but you can hardly call an AK a precision rifle--they are known for their loose fits.
Some rifle manufactures have used conventional steel ( non stainless) for just this reason---closer fits--then they EN the firearm for the protection.
You can use electroless nickel just about anywhere on a firearm, not so with hard chrome and I have seen a couple of revolvers that were hard chromed and USED not just kept in a safe and wiped down every so often---They fairly quickly started to look like the bumper on an old chevy.
I guess both coatings have their place, but for my money, if protection is my main concern, I'll go with the EN.
So, I guess I'm saying if you want the best finish, use EN and have it nitride coated.
It sounds like you may have some misconceptions about industrial hard chrome and/or have it confused with the decorative chrome plating used in the automotive industry. If it looks like the bumper on an old Chevy, it ain't hard chrome. Hard chrome is thinner and harder than nickel, 20pts higher on the Rockwell scale, which makes it superior for internal and close fitted parts. If applied correctly it does not chip or peel and is superior to nickel in every way. Except looks.

Every single steel part of this sixgun is finished in hard chrome, including lockwork and all screws, except the rear sight:

Traditional chrome plating:

Page generated in 0.04815 seconds with 8 queries