Thread: stout 38 loads
View Single Post
Old April 30, 2005, 11:31 PM   #5
Sturm

The hottest load data I have ever seen for .38 Special comes from the Vihta Vuori #2 load guide, it does not exceed max pressure, but it was tested in the European CIP system that is more similar to our CUP testing than Piezoelectric PSI, although VV has chosen to lower the data in more recent years, it has mainly been to comply with SAAMI testing in PSI (Pzo).

My oppinion may be different here, but I have done a lot of loading and testing in this area. In Fact, I trim .357 Brass to .38 Sp. length and have had some negative oppinions from people that just couldn't get it, or have never shot full length magnums in 7 shot revolvers or lightweight compacts in .357 and this seems to be the only real solution to extraction problems, especially with short ejector rods. Extraction is much improved as well as ballistic efeciency in snubs.

Any way if you think you'd like to use VV in .38 cases send me a pm and I can help with data from 110 gr. JHP's around 1400 fps, 125's @ 1284 and 158 cast lead at 1115. All at 21,000 PSI (CIP) in .38 Sp. cases. If you'd rather use something a little less expensive, AA#7 is great, Blue Dot, if flash is not an issue, HS-6, WSF if you can get good data, or Longshot. The Powder I most want to try in this burn area is Ramshot True Blue, for my .357 Short Magnums, 9mm and .40 S&W. It's a high load density ball powder with very low flash and will produce single digit Standard Deviations in high pressure cartridges from 9mm to .454 Casull.

Page generated in 0.02364 seconds with 8 queries