View Single Post
Old September 23, 2011, 11:10 AM   #6
Scorch

Quote:
Am I totally nuts?
Possibly, but this is a gun-related forum, so we can't or won't comment on mental instability of posters.

The way I see it, you have old and low-tech, new and high-tech, and the ease or simplicity of whatever you choose.

Vapor paper works well as long as the container is dry and sealed. If you choose your PVC pipe example, coating a gun with Break Free and putting it in a pipe is an OK idea, but probably not a great idea. There are better rust preventative treatments than light oil.

Easiest of all:
Every 18 months or so, when you go to the cottage, pick out a firearm to take along with you. No worries about rust or theft, just that warm feeling of being armed.

Old and low-tech:
* Outers Gun Grease or RIG grease, applied liberally over the external and internal surfaces will prevent rust for a long time. Since it is a relatively thin coating of grease, just wipe the gun down with a rag and/or solvent and go shooting.
* Cosmoline is an old and lower-tech approach, but YUCK!!! Why would you do that to a firearm? Besides, how do you go about getting the firearm into action quickly?

Kinda new and lowish-tech:
* Vapor paper (I'm sure it has a proper technical name) is available from Brownells and other sources, just wrap the firearm in a sheet of the paper, store in an airtight bag, and you're good to go for a long time.

Newer and higher-tech:
* Militec grease, works pretty well, no greasy feel.
* Gun storage bags are cheap and work very well. Nice thing about these is that you can leave the gun there for a long time without inspection and handling, and it is ready to go when you open the bag.
* Weapon Shield works well, but I would probably store the firearm in a good storage case with desiccant material after treatment. Your call.

Page generated in 0.03033 seconds with 8 queries