Thread: Revolver Messy
View Single Post
Old May 28, 1999, 10:26 PM   #6
JimmyBCool

To all replies,

Thanks. The smith I used is a failry well known S&W smith in my area. In fact, pretty much all he works is S&W revolvers or Colt autos. He has a reputation as a good smith.

The ammo I shoot is my own reloads, using lead SWC bullets and Winchester powder (which is supposed to be somewhat clean per Dillon). I took the gun back to the smith and, well, you have to know him. The designation character is a good one. So I can't always tell when he is serious. He didn't seem to pay any attention to my question, instead taking it back and cleaning it (and supposedly tacking a charge on my account for the cleaning).

Visually, the gap between cylinder and barrel is wider than on my Colt King Cobra. I just don't know.

Tomorrow I'm going to put 100 rounds each through the S&W and Colt. If the Colt is still reasonably clean and the S&W is filthy, I'm going to find a way to check the gap. I do have some feeler gauges for setting the gap on spark plugs, maybe they are adequate for the job.

I don't know what I'll do if this is normal. If this is normal, as Walt says his Python is, I'm not sure I'll shoot it much. I don't mind doing the cleanup after, it's the getting too filthy to touch any of my other guns at the range that bugs me.

Walt, as to build up inside, I promise that isn't the problem. While I don't like cleaning guns, I do take it seriously as I figure it is part of the price to shoot. The gun was clean to start the day, and a couple hundred rounds seems too few to cause a problem.

Maybe it is the nature of the beast. Guess I have to go load a few hundred rounds tonight and see in the AM.

Thanks again.

James

Page generated in 0.02257 seconds with 8 queries