View Single Post
Old July 27, 2006, 12:16 AM   #10
tanksoldier

IMO you can't really do what you're trying to do here... and what many others try to do in similar "what would you do" threads.

Even under military ROE, situations that by description could sound exactly the same may in reality boots-on-the-ground be very different.

Recently a story was posted about an armed citizen who stopped a knife attack in a mall parkinglot. Seems very straightforward, there are few legal justifications to chasing someone around a parkinglot with a knife.

In another story, an off-duty sheriff deputy was on the second floor of a mall, heard gunshots, looked over the rail, saw man with a gun, and shot same. As it happened he got the right guy, but what if it had been a CCWer responding to gunshots fired by someone else?

In the end you will have to make a split second decision without complete information. Cops train for that sort of thing, and still make mistakes. I suspect few CCWers conduct similar training.

My suggestion to all is to get training, and perhaps shoot IDPA or ISPC once in a while. The use of modern firearms is a martial art just like any other weapon-style martial art. Owning a katana doesn't make you an iaido master; neither does owning a Les Baer custom .45 make you a proficient handgunner.

Train with a good school to get the fundamentals, practice shooting scenarios to maintain those skills and improve them and so that you will know your own capabilities. Then when something totally unexpected happens, like when you're standing in line a Wally World and the guy in front of you pulls a gun on the cashier, you'll have an idea of what you should do and what you're actually capable of doing.

GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page generated in 0.03068 seconds with 8 queries