View Single Post
Old June 12, 2013, 11:59 PM   #38
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
So there is one and only one way to lubricate an AR-15 in all conditions and with all ammunition?
Not even close to what I said.

There are many ways to lubricate AR-15s. There are even many PROPER ways to lubricate AR-15s. So no, there's not "one and only one way".

But that doesn't mean that every possible way to lubricate an AR-15 is a proper way. Squirting oil in the chamber is not recommended as a proper way to lubricate a modern, gas-operated firearm by any firearms manufacturer, established firearms expert or respected gunsmith that I am aware of.
Quote:
So if I'm out in the wilderness, my barrel's hot and fouled and ammo not extracting easily, I should comfort myself that since my chamber isn't lubed, everything's groovy? And I should religiously avoid that shot of Breakfree into the chamber that will move things along?
If your gun is screwed up from lack of maintenance, use of improper ammunition or for some other reason, and you know how to get it up and running and have the means at hand, then by all means get it up and running. You do what you have to do in a situation like that. But when you have the choice, it's better to handle things the way they really should be handled.

The OP's question was about something that happened at indoor range on the 21st shot of the shooting session starting with a clean gun--not quite exactly like the extreme scenario you use as support for your arguments. What might make sense in the wilderness under harsh conditions with limited available resources is one thing--what is proper is another thing entirely.

Page generated in 0.03172 seconds with 8 queries