View Single Post
Old August 19, 2011, 01:05 PM   #1
British Bobby

My take on why gun-restriction works in Europe but not in the US

Hi guys, don't know if this is the right place to discuss this, so apologies if I'm in the wrong section, but here goes.

This is my take on why stricter gun-laws in the US would NOT help decrease gun-crime particularly. I am a police officer with the Strathclyde Police Force in Glasgow in the UK and I have grown up in Britain and Greece, both of which have near-impossible laws when it comes to civilian gun ownership.

I believe it all hinges upon the fact that the US has some many factories actually producing weapons, whereas European countries have so few (many don't have any). Such a large part of the US economy involves the producing and selling of fire-arms that it's only a logical consequence to have so many gun-stores and shows that are legally licensed to sell-them as 3rd parties.

In Greece and the UK, I have yet to stumble upon a gun-store, I need to search for one online just to see if one exists anywhere near me.

This off course means that STOLEN handguns are virtually non-existent on the streets, thereby rendering gun-crime one of the lowest concerns. It's basically only organised crime that carries guns, and they smuggle those in from other countries.

I honestly don't believe gun laws would really make much difference in the US, but I am very grateful that countries like Greece and the UK, which have some VERY dangerous and deprived areas and are full of hot-heads, do have these strict laws in operation.

Anyway, those are my 2 cents.

Page generated in 0.03115 seconds with 8 queries