Thread: Am I wrong??
View Single Post
Old May 12, 2013, 07:05 PM   #88
Gaerek

Am I wrong??

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Here's my take on 3rd party scenarios...

Stay out of it.

In all likelihood, you do NOT know what's happening or even who the good/bad guy(s) might be. An undercover plainclothes officer could look like a scumbag. Or a scumbag could be dressed in a uniform. In my CCW class, it was made very clear to all in attendance that you're very likely to screw up and misidentify the parties involved or be considered a hostile by LEOs.

Stay out of it.
There are several reasons you CCW course might have taught it this way, and it's possible your instructor disagreed with it.

1) the curriculum might have been designed by the state. There could be specific language that basically says they are required to teach that your first course of action should always be to attempt to get yourself out if the situation, regardless.

2) If 1) isn't the case, then the instructor might be trying to limit his liability. Lets say you decided to confront the shooter. But one of your bullets struck a bystander. You can bet your CCW instructor or someone familiar with the curriculum will be called to the stand in court. Teaching to always retreat means they can say, "I don't know why he confronted the shooter, but we didn't teach him that. We taught them to always remove themselves from the situation if at all possible.

I'm not saying that confrontation is the right option (as my above posts indicate), but its likely your CCW class was required to teach it that way regardless of what the instructor believed.

Page generated in 0.04000 seconds with 8 queries