View Single Post
Old October 29, 2010, 11:01 PM   #2
Gary L. Griffiths

I teach, "Shoot to Stop. Shoot until it Stops!" But you don't want to just dump rounds into the threat as fast as you can pull the trigger. You have to re-point the gun at where you're aiming. The impact of a bullet will stop an opponent for at least a fraction of a second, most of the time (PCP users and zombies excepted), and you want to make those shots count. Observe while you're shooting (that's why I'm an advocate of point shooting) so that you don't (1) turn a perfectly good shoot into a grand jury indictment for excessive force, and (2) run dry when the unseen opponent around the corner jumps out and starts shooting at you. I've seen both happen to professionally trained LEOs in simulator training.

Double-tap and observe, though, is insane, IMHO. I've seen many, many, officers trained in double-tap fire their double-tap, then stand there with stupid looks on their faces while the (video) opponent keeps shooting at them. In simulator training, as in real life, you don't know how many of your rounds hit the opponent, and what effect they're going to have on him or her.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)

Page generated in 0.03831 seconds with 8 queries