View Single Post
Old September 19, 2011, 11:11 AM   #14
snuffy

Quote:
Quote:
I also tested a .223 60 grain nosler partition. That's a subject for another thread, coming soon. I also have several other "hunting weights" to test for .223.
I would be interested in seeing those results. You may have already tried them, but if not I would suggest the Trophy Bonded and the Barnes X.
Okay, here's the ONLY one I've tested so far, the 60 partition. I also have 70 gr. speer, 70 gr. Berger VLD, and the 64 gr. WW power point. I decided to do this test because of a thread with a question something like this, "is the .223 capable of killing a deer?" Of course the argument started right away, varying from "I do it all the time" TO "are you crazy, it'll bounce off to only wound the deer!"

I know better, here in WI we CAN use them, unlike some other states. They're used with great success, a lot of dead deer! Mostly AR-15 in .223.

I expected to see the nose of the partition to be completely gone, but there was a tiny part of the nose core left on the web of the partition. It popped right off after I recovered the bullet. The remaining/retained weight was 50.3 grains. Apparently Nosler only puts about a ten grain very shallow front core in their .223 partition. Makes sense to me, that gives the jacket and remaining base more weight to penetrate deeper.

The penetration was full length of the medium, the bullet came to rest in the rags in the extension tube. It did not penetrate the "T" shirt, was just laying on the bottom of the mailing tube. The wound cavity was no bigger than the deep curl '06. As I said, I have no basis to be able to read the wound cavities yet, As I do more testing, I will be able to say more about it.

I did an extensive search on Google, using "bullet test tube" for the search. It appears the outfit Ballistic Technology is out of business. They're the ones behind the Bullet Test Tube. There's a lot of people that have bought into the idea, but apparently not enough to keep the business going. With the current business climate, it's not hard to figure out. Somebody that's barley hanging on or UN-employed is NOT going to spend money on this product.

I wanted to try the sierra 65 game king. However I can't locate any. Midway has them listed but, out of stock, no back order. That means Sierra has none and no plans on making any.

Here's a side shot of the little cap of lead that was on top of the partition web.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Last edited by snuffy; September 19, 2011 at 11:17 AM.

Page generated in 0.03503 seconds with 8 queries