View Single Post
Old March 21, 2006, 12:11 PM   #1
Smokey Joe

.45ACP; 2 questions

My latest pistol is a 1911; have been trying to learn to shoot it well. (Progressing slowly.) Of course I reload for it; I'm an experienced reloader but have done only mebbe 1000 .45's so far.

With .45ACP most of the brass I reload and shoot is range pick-ups, so I have quite an assortment of headstamps. They all work, both shooting and reloading, and @ my skill level with the 1911 I see no difference in accuracy with any of 'em.

Question 1: I've noticed that some of the cases have flash holes mebbe 1/2 again as large as all the rest. These are Speer, Federal, and CCI cases. The standard wisdom @ my ranges is "load 'em up and shoot 'em," and I have not noticed any problems. so:

a. Why the larger holes? Should I expect some change in accuracy?

b. Am I asking for trouble of some sort, down the line, in using these large-flash-hole cases?

Question 2: Found one piece of A-merc brass in the .45's I was sizing today. Have heard that A-merc's quality is poor, and noticed that the flash hole was off center. Since it was just one piece, I crushed its mouth and recycled it to the scrap bucket. But what's the deal with A-merc brass, anyway? Again, should I expect some change in accuracy, and am I asking for trouble if I use A-merc brass?

Thx in advance to all.

--Smokey Joe

Page generated in 0.02092 seconds with 8 queries