View Single Post
Old April 2, 2002, 01:15 PM   #17
JimmyDee

Wow. I'm impressed. One match under your belt and you've got lots of ideas for making things better. I'm not criticizing (except your disdain for safety rules) but suggest you spend a little bit more time watching and listening.

I share many of your complaints - especailly as they apply to IPSC. But I've learned alot from that organization, too. I spent a half dozen years serving my country under arms and qualified as expert with every TO weapon they put in my hands. After getting out I discovered NRA Bullseye; I was, with practice, a good-enough shooter. Then I shot some PP with LE types; I was very competitive in those matches. A guy asked me if I ever shot IPSC. "What's an IPSC", I thought.

The IPSC idea of speed and accuracy was much faster and more accurate than anything I'd done up to that point. A little bit of practice got me out of D Class; I had to work for a while longer before breaking out of C Class.

But I grew to hate the gamesmanship and the club politics. I couldn't believe the ******* and moaning that went along with mission count and slot allocations.

So what? I'd shoot from a concealment rig with a totally practical pistol. I'd shoot with field revolvers loaded from my pocket. I'd shoot with J Frames and speed strips. Yeah, I'd seldom win matches and never got above B Class with that equipment, but I learned a lot about my guns and the rate at which I could deliver accurate fire and how long it took to move and reload. That's what I wanted.

And that's my point: you should be able to get what you want out of the organizations and matches you find in your area. You'll learn about your ability to perform and discover techniques that help you meet your goals. Sure, you've got to play by their rules - but within those you can run their scenarios the way you want to.

Page generated in 0.04515 seconds with 7 queries