View Single Post
Old April 30, 2024, 08:59 AM   #1
taylorce1

Questions about a M70 stock?

So I was on gunbroker.com the other night which is almost always a bad thing. I was looking for a M70 stock to dress up my .375 Ruger I built on a push feed 7mm Mag XTR years ago. The main reason I am looking for a stock is my rifle had a wide target forend on it.

I tried reshaping the stock, and while I didn't ruin it I made it hard to grip during recoil. I made the sides a little to flat and verticle, after trying to quickly remove material on a bench mounted sander. Sometimes we learn things the hard way in an attempt to save money.

I came across a factory unfinished M70 Supergrade Safari stock with less than an hour on the auction. I threw up a bid and then drove to work. I got the notification I won the stock the next morning after getting off work and turning my phone back on.

So I pay for the stock and look at the pictures as I have more time. The grain through the wrist area of the stock was something I had missed. I'm by no means an expert on stocks, but I seem to remember wanting straight grain through the grip and wrist area.

So I'm wondering if I should be concerned about this stock on my .375 Ruger? If so would having a pin installed in that area be a good idea? I'm going to have a professional do the work this time.

Last edited by taylorce1; April 30, 2024 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Resize pictures.

Page generated in 0.02371 seconds with 8 queries