View Single Post
Old April 26, 2024, 09:51 PM   #33
bamaranger

second gobbler!

-hunt #20, 26April
Back into Big Hollow, the plan is to wait out the bird on the spur ridge that seems to gobble mid morning. All plans go to blazes with the first gobble.
A short while after daylight I can hear multiple birds gobbling way to the east, just as in the past few mornings. Additionally there is a bird well to the south, down by the county road. And then a pair gobble once each, over by the notch/saddle across from me on the opposite side. Finally, I can hear a bird way off to the west. What is that.... six? I hold out 'till close 9:00am but have no confidence in my plan. I figure that the spur gobbler must be off to the S, SE, with the 4-5 that seem that direction. But I sure don't want to hump it over to that notch , possibly beyond, and then have to hump it back emptyhanded.

I elect to back track to the Polaris, ride back thru the lease on club roads, and come out east of the notch. It takes about nearly an hour, not really a time savings, but I arrive a lot less blown, and it will allow an easier exit too. Additionally, I can slip out into the hardwoods there with minimal disturbance.
I slip thru the pines and emerge in open woods, and ease over to a slight bench on the hillside. The slope falls off steeply to my front but I can see downhill fairly well and the little bench to left looks like a really good spot for a gobbler to strut. I figure some of the birds I heard this morning could be close. I set up at the base of a red oak and we will see.

The winds up a bit, and I try the old Lohman box I've been prone to carry a bit this season. Not my best effort, but it should carry well. A bit later I try the slate with the harsh carbon fiber striker, again with no results. Well, we'll listen for a bit. It's after 10:00, maybe one of these birds has lost their hens. A log truck blasts through the county road below and jake brakes for the bridge, and a bird gobbles to left, beyond the little bench. Close! As it turns out, closer than I realize.

I take a few seconds to get settled in that direction, then yelp 3x on the slate. I get two gobbles, there's two of them! I drop the slate, get the gun up and the safety off. Inside of a minute I see movement to my left, that looked like a turkey's head slipping through an opening. Yup, there..... and in the same moment, the second bird appears dead ahead. Number two is closer and I'm on him, he just needs to get clear. But he stops behind a bit of brush and clucks hard. He's looking for the hen. He clucks again and pivots to my left, suspicious. Number one has stopped in an opening but I'd really like him to be closer. The closer bird drifts left a bit more, still obscured, and is getting jumpy. I drift the gun a couple of inches left and get number one in the scope, ......I'll shoot.

I see him roll backwards, pump the gun,.... wobble to my feet. The closer bird flushes away. I crash over to where I took the shot, and I don't see him.....good Lord, not again! Then relief, ........he's fallen back into a slight depression and there he lays barely quivering, down for good. I pace it off, twice, 46 steps the first time, 44 the next. I don't pace a true yard, I'd say the shot was 43 yards, further than I'd like, but clearly deadly.

He's a mature tom, 17 lbs, with TWO beards, 9-1/2" and 4-1/2". His spurs are identical at 13/16ths of an inch, with a bit of a point and curve. He may be a 3 year old........certainly two. I'm very pleased.....now I know the first one wasn't an accident!

Last edited by bamaranger; April 27, 2024 at 04:20 PM.

Page generated in 0.02394 seconds with 7 queries