View Single Post
Old March 11, 2024, 02:33 PM   #7
riverratt

Thanks for the in deapth explanation AMP!!

Quote:
The most likely suspect is you. Only happens on next to last round, only when shooting heavy recoiling loads. One possible cause is that you are bumping the slide stop, (or. more accurately, it is bumping you) engaging it early. Possible to happen without you realizing it. This is simple enough to check, have some other people shoot the gun with that ammo and see if it happens when they shoot it.
I haven't ruled that out 100% either. I am quite accustomed to heavy recoiling firearms, but only in revolvers. The recoil of the 10mm is pretty tame and controllable in comparison to my magnum revolvers, but there is always a possibility that I could be bumping it under recoil.

I did have my Son shoot it, it did it to him as well. But in all fairness, he is not accustomed to handguns hardly at all.

The reason I was so focused on the round moment causing this is that was the first thing I noticed. The flat nose of the bullet was actually just past (or flush with) the edge of the magazine with the slide locked to the rear. I just thought that had to have something to do with it.

Quote:
I concur that the cause is probably the last round moving forward and tripping the slide stop. The dimple may help. Another possibility, especially if the "warm" loads are round-nose, is to slightly re-profile the inner lug of the slide stop. A tell-tale is if you see copper-colored deposits on the slide stop.
The rounds I was shooting were Aguila 180gr FN and Magtech 180gr FN. The Aguila were chronoed with a 5 shot average of 1262fps, and the Magtechs were cronoed with a 5 round average of 1243fps.

The last round in the mag had definitely shifted forward. Is it enough to contact the slide lock? I will have to investigate this a bit further. I did not see any copper or brass on it, but I wasn't looking for it either.

Page generated in 0.02385 seconds with 7 queries