View Single Post
Old March 5, 2024, 12:47 PM   #10
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
I don't use a lot of high BC bullets on varmints. The majority of what I'll shoot is 55 grain SP/HP in my .223 at prairie dogs. The 6mm CM only comes into play if I want to try shots beyond 400-500 yds. When I'm shooting a colony of prairie I usually shoot more rimfire and .223 ammunition than anything else.

There is no rule against using lowe BC bullets in 6mm CM either.
Like I said, I'm young (not even 40 yet!), so I'm still learning. I think I always thought of the Creedmoors as being made for lower velocity, high BC bullets. They have the faster twist rates and, in my limited understanding, could over-stabilize the shorty, more explosive varmint bullets. I've killed so many groundhogs with 50 or 55 grain vmax, it seems dissonant to shoot a 58 gr or 75 grain bullets out of a 1:7.7" barrel. When I would think in terms of large game hunting, the 6CM made the most sense. But on an annual basis, I may shoot 20 - 50 groundhogs, and only 2-5 deer. So for "one gun does it all," the 243 won out.

In retrospect though, I was wrong. 6mm target bullets would be just fine for groundhogs. I'll just try to use all the 243 brass I already have to comfort myself for now. Haha

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan

Page generated in 0.02165 seconds with 7 queries