View Single Post
Old December 26, 2023, 01:16 PM   #3
bamaranger

pistol bullets

Hornady at one time published a graph which listed recommended velocities for the .44/XTP and the 180 gr version was absolutely a pistol bullet, with a velocity ceiling considerably lower than the other bullet weights in that caliber. If I recall correctly it wasn't much over 1000fps. The 200 grain version was rated at considerable higher velocity. I ended up shooting the light for caliber .44's as they provided better accuracy in my slow twist carbines.

My experience with the .44 mag in carbines goes way back, my Dad had a M94 Win so chambered in the early 1970's. Dad shot 240 gr bullets of all variety, to include the old 240 gr Lubaloy SWC Winchester load. The 240's were all we ever saw on the shelves, maybe all that was offered back then. All Dad's shots were "pass through's" and we never recovered a bullet. Accuracy from Dad's M94 was rather so-so as well. I bought my first Ruger .44 carbine around 1986, having always wanted one, acquired another about a decade later. I shot 240 gr slugs initially, using 2400 powder and killed a few deer with them, but had real accuracy issues. No chrono in those days, I have no idea how fast they were running, but I had trouble keeping five rounds on a pie plate at 100 yds and started searching for alternatives.

Of late I've come to suspect the problem was not ammo/bullet weight at all, but bedding (or lack of it) in the carbines. I seem to have solved that problem recently (see other posts) and really need to shoot some 240's again and see how they group. My 200 gr loads, pushed by 2400, are now cuttinig one ragged hole at 50 yds.

Page generated in 0.02249 seconds with 7 queries