View Single Post
Old August 31, 2016, 02:46 PM   #30
Slamfire

Quote:
They are identical now, yes.

It was always the subject of much debate if they have always been identical, though.
Without pressure gauges and chronographs, how would we know the difference? Before this became common knowledge, I tested W296 and H110 in the 44 Magnum and came to the conclusion that they were the same powder, the only differences were due to lot differences.

It just shows the knowledge asymmetry the Industry has over shooters. I am currently reading about Agnotology : the study of culturally induced ignorance or doubt (sic) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnotology It is in no one's benefit to educate the shooting community, and HP-38/W231; H110/W296 are excellent examples of how manufacturer's are able to maximize profit by with holding information from the shooting community. I have a Handloader magazine article by Ken Warner. In testing the 45 ACP he praised to high heaven HP-38 but in the article, says he had "given up" on W231. Now we know these are the same powders, so it calls into question whether Ken knew this, and therefore was shilling for Hodgdon, or whether Ken was able to shoot straight enough not to see a difference. Regardless of who wrote what article, I am certain the gun literature of the past 50 years is loaded with comparisons of these powders, one article Hodgdon beating the same powder in a Winchester can, and another article, the Winchester beating the same powder in a Hodgdon can.

Page generated in 0.02219 seconds with 7 queries