View Single Post
Old July 13, 2014, 06:40 PM   #2
Binos, monocular, range finder, spotting scope?

You missed two of the four general options.

I hunt big game 3 to 6 times a year, and a lot of other hunting and competition I use optics for spotting and observation as well. Some of it depends on what you are hunting, when, and the terrain. That also narrows down magnification.

I rarely use a spotting scope for anything except close observation and guessing rack size on specific game at far distances, like 1000 yards and out. If I am hunting cow elk or doe deer, I don't even take them with me.

With quality binoculars, you can easily scan and locate animals up to a few miles out and determine their general attitude. But scoring them or determining sex (on some species) will be harder.

Inside 300 yards, I would not bother with a range finder, however, you may want to consider them. Some of the better range finders, especially the binocular version, can do almost all of the chores needed.

I really like a 10X monocular, especially when I am pack, or basecamp hunting. Lighter and compact, there are some that have ranging reticles and some with excellent glass as well.

If I could only have binos or spotting scope, I would go for binos, but I have all of the choices and use them in the set of parameters each is best suited for as much as possible.
Good Shooting, MarkCO
Page generated in 0.04294 seconds with 7 queries