View Single Post
Old April 7, 2014, 07:19 AM   #72
Double Naught Spy
You may not use deadly force just because you are in danger or even if you reasonably fear that your life is in danger. In most states, you must have a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily injury. In most metropolitan areas your life is in in danger whenever you get on a freeway, but not imminent danger.

Whether or not your you held such a fear and if it was reasonable is a question of fact. If at 3 in the morning the person is on the other side of a door chambering a round and taking a stance to kick in your door, all of which you saw on a security monitor, I think law enforcement and a jury might buy justifiable homicide. If you didn't know that they were chambering a round or were even armed or that they were preparing to kick in the door, you may need a good criminal defense attorney.
The first paragraph was good, if a bit overly specific for this discussion, but then you lost it in the 2nd paragraph. "Taking a stance" to kick a door is hardly imminent danger. Plus either way, you are probably going to need a good criminal defense attorney as a matter of SOP for a self defense shooting.
"If you look through your scope and see your shoe, aim higher." -- said to me by my 11 year old daughter before going out for hogs 8/13/2011
My Hunting Videos
Page generated in 0.03305 seconds with 7 queries